In a unique way prepared beetroot will surprise you with its rich flavour and texture. Just keep in mind that this dish will require lots of your patience.
- 1 medium size beetroot
- 1kg beetroots to squeeze for juice
- Orange calendula
- Lemon verbena
1. Cut the medium sized beetroot into quarters and boil them until tender. Dry the cooked beetroot quarters in a preheated oven at 58° C with the convection fan on for 24 hours until the roots are completely dry and firm.
2. Squeeze the juice out of the 1kg of beetroots. Bring the juice to a steam on a low heat until a little bit less than half of the liquid evaporates.
3. Add the dried beetroots to the pot with the juice, bring it to a boil and simmer. The dried beetroots should absorb the rich-flavoured, highly concentrated juices. Simmer until the beetroot chunks look like gummy bears – soft and juicy.
4. Place prepared beetroots on a grill and smoke them for a few minutes in the embers, mixed together with the fir needles.
5. Season the beetroot with fresh herbs such as thyme, orange calendula and lemon verbena.