Do you remember baked apples from your childhood? The chef suggests to spice them up with an old-time sweet horseradish sauce which was used by Lithuanian nobility. This unique sauce will surprise you and make you gasp – it is amazing what interesting flavours you can create by mixing quite simple ingredients.
- 4 firm apples
- Apple jam or chopped apples with sugar
- 1 teaspoon white horseradish
1. Scoop out the core of each apple. Wrap each of them in aluminium foil and bake either over the campfire or in the oven at 160-180° C for around 20 minutes, until they are nicely caramelized. Be careful not to overcook apples. You do not want them to collapse and get mushy.
2. Make the sauce. Mix the apple jam or chopped apples with sugar together with cream in the ratio 2:1 (for example, one jar of jam together with a half jar of cream), then add the horseradish. Mix well.
3. Serve the baked apple with the horseradish sauce. You can try another option – you can bake an apple with pre-prepared sauce.