The main dish is unusual and exceptional. For the main and indispensable ingredient, you might need to go to the local market. The chef presents to you not only the recipe of this amazing dish but also gives you some useful tips on how to prepare it perfectly.
- 1 beef heart (around 2 kg)
- 200 g bacon
- 1 medium onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 400-500 g mushrooms
- 3-4 tablespoons cranberries
- 200 g spinach
- Sprig of rosemary
- Pinch of salt
- Small pinch of pepper
- Oil for frying
1. Rinse the beef heart and drain. Cut the heart open and remove all the fat, arteries, veins and membranes (cut off everything which is unnecessary).
2. Pan-fry the chopped bacon, then remove the bacon to a plate but leave the fat in the pan. Fry the chopped onions, garlic and mushrooms in the pan with bacon grease. After they are cooked, add the cranberries, spinach and fry until all the liquid evaporates.
3. Combine the bacon with fried vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to your taste (keep in mind that bacon is already salty).
4. Spoon the stuffing into the beef heart, roll it and tie it up. Sear the beef heart roll in a skillet for around 2-3 minutes on all sides until a nice gold crust forms, then transfer the beef heart in to the pre-heated oven at 130-1400 C for 1-1 and a half hours.
5. Remove the roast beef heart from the oven and cover it with aluminium foil. Let it rest for 10-15 minutes. If you cut into it right away, the meat juice will pool out and your roast will become very dry.