This dessert is Ali’s bestseller. Ali reveals the secrets to baking a Pavlova at home that are as tasty as the ones he serves in his chocolateria. You can serve Pavlova with fresh berries in summer or exotic mango jam in winter.
FOR THE MERINGUE
- 140 g egg whites, at room temperature (requires 5 bigger eggs)
- 120 g sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE MANGO JAM
- 450 g frozen or fresh ripe mangoes
- 200 g fresh squeezed orange juice
- 250 g sugar
- ½ whole vanilla bean
- 10 g gelatine soaked in the 40 g of warm water
FOR THE MASCARPONE CREAM
- 500 g mascarpone cheese
- 200 g 35% fat whipping cream (to combine with mascarpone)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 200 g 35 % fat whipping cream combined with 1 tablespoon sugar (for whipping)
Preheat the oven to 110°C
1. Prepare the mango jam. You can use both fresh (if you can find a ripe fruit in-store) or frozen mangoes. Frozen ripe mangoes you can find in supermarkets, usually they are already cut into cubes.
Put the diced mangoes into a pot, add the orange juice and sugar. Bring the mixture to the boil then remove the pot from the heat. Add the gelatine and allow it to dissolve. Store in the refrigerator for a few hours.
2. Prepare the mascarpone cheese cream. Keep in mind that all of the ingredients must be cold. Firstly, pour the whipping cream into the mascarpone cheese and mix well until the mixture is smooth and fluid. Add the vanilla sugar and stir through.
In a separate bowl whisk the rest of the whipping cream with the sugar, then slowly stir it into the mascarpone cheese mixture until smooth.
3. Prepare the meringue. Whisk the egg whites with the sugar, a pinch of salt and the vinegar. You can substitute the vinegar for citric acid. Beat the egg whites very well until they form stiff peaks. Transfer the meringue mixture into the baking dish and place it into the pre-heated oven at 110°C for 1 hour.
Alternatively, instead of making the one big Pavlova cake you can also bake smaller meringue cookies. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form the cookies with a tablespoon, or confectionery bag if you have one at home. In a serving glass make a beautiful layered dessert with meringue cookies and layers of mango jam, whipped cream and berries.
If you do not wish to go to the trouble of baking the meringue, you can buy meringue cookies from a store. To make a wonderful dessert you will simply need to add the homemade jam, mascarpone cream and berries.